What documents do I need to sell my car?

Last updated December 21, 2021

Whether you’re selling your car privately, part-exchanging at a dealership or selling your car to ourselves, you will first need to know what documents are required to sell your car. It’s important to get all of the necessary documentation together before you start the selling process to avoid any unnecessary delays. We’re here to explain what paperwork you need to sell your car, and why each document is important.

Value your car in under 30 seconds

V5C logbook

Your logbook or V5C document proves who the legal owner of a vehicle is. If you sell your car, you will need to inform the DVLA that you are no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle by completing the relevant section of the V5C registration document and posting it to the DVLA. Alternatively, you can inform the DVLA online.

The new owner will need to be given the ‘green new keeper’ slip once you’ve changed the personal details, such as the name and address on the logbook.

Service history

A full service history proves to buyers that the car has been well maintained throughout its life. As such, having documents that prove your full service history may make your car more desirable to potential buyers and may increase the value of your car. It can even help buyers confirm that the mileage you’re quoting is legitimate.

When selling a car, you should show proof of all service history stamps and receipts from when the service was carried out to the buyer. Every time you get a service, you should ensure that you receive a stamp in the service book, whilst also ensuring all details are filled out including the name, address and the date the service was carried out.

MOT certificates

MOT certificates retained from throughout a car's lifetime demonstrate that it has been kept in a roadworthy condition and has always met the latest environmental standards.

If you don’t have any physical certificates, all MOT certificates since 2006 are available online. Nevertheless, it’s good practice to provide physical certificates to the buyer if you have them, particularly if you’re selling an older vehicle. If you have lost or damaged any MOT certificates you can request a new one online for just £10.

Repair and part receipts

Cars sometimes need to be repaired due to age-related issues, damage sustained from an accident or damage caused by another individual. If you have had work carried out on your car, it is good practice to keep the receipts of the work carried out to show that the work has been done to a high standard by a reputable garage.

It is also worthwhile keeping receipts of all parts that have been replaced to prove to the buyer that all parts on the car are genuine. This is especially important if the car is still under warranty.

Car warranty

If the car you're selling is still under warranty from a manufacturer or dealership, you will need to inform the warranty provider that you have sold the car. In most cases, the warranty will be transferable over to the new owner, in which case you should inform them and hand over any documentation.

Sale receipts

If you’re selling your car privately, you should provide the buyer with a receipt with as much information as possible including the names of the buyer and seller, address of both parties, the date, amount paid, registration plate, VIN number and both parties’ signatures.

You should both keep a copy of any receipts provided for proof of purchase. Where you are selling to a dealership or car buying service, they are likely to provide some form of receipt for the car they’ve purchased.

What documents do I need to sell to webuyanycar?

Our simple process is one of the many things that makes us the UK’s largest online car buyer, with over 3 million customers. Unlike some car buyers who will ask for every document you’ve ever received, all we ask for is:

  • V5C document / logbook
  • Original photo ID (passport or driving licence)
  • Proof of address dated within the last 9 months
  • Your bank details (so we can pay you)
  • All keys and locking wheel nut
  • Service history documents (if applicable)
  • Finance settlement document (if applicable)