Can I scrap my car without a V5C logbook?

Can I scrap my car without a V5C logbook?

Last updated March 10, 2023

If you are preparing to scrap your car (or plan to do so in the near future), it is important to familiarise yourself with the correct procedure to ensure compliance with the law.

For instance, in order to scrap a car, it is a legal requirement that your chosen scrapyard, or Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) produces a Certificate of Destruction (CoD). There are also a variety of documents which you will need to present at the ATF.

The V5C logbook is a useful document that can help to prove you own a vehicle, making the scrapping process easier. Unfortunately, it is easy to lose and misplace your V5C logbook, which can make things a little trickier.

Value your car in under 30 seconds

Can I scrap my car without a V5C document?

Yes, it is possible to scrap your car without a V5C logbook. If your car has been declared SORN (which means it’s ‘off the road’ and not suitable for driving), you won’t require a V5C logbook to scrap it.

When scrapping a car that isn’t SORN, it can be helpful to show the logbook as proof of ownership. However, when scrapping your vehicle, you can simply notify the DVLA that you’re selling your car for scrap, and the missing logbook shouldn’t be an issue.

How to scrap your car without a V5C logbook

Here are the steps you need to take to scrap your car without a V5C logbook:

  • When you bring your car to a scrapyard, they will likely ask for some photo ID.
  • As the registered keeper of the car, you will need to inform the DVLA – and provide important details such as your full name, address and contact number. The DVLA will also need to know that the car has been sold for scrap - and where it has been sold.
  • A ‘no logbook’ authorisation form for your scrap vehicle will be completed by a member of staff. This will provide the scrapyard with permission to scrap your vehicle without a logbook.

Informing the DVLA

The DVLA will be happy enough for you to scrap a car without a V5C logbook. It is, however, your legal responsibility to inform the DVLA if you intend to do so. You should always notify the DVLA when you’ve scrapped your car and provide them with up-to-date information, including:

  • The date of the sale or transfer.
  • The name, address, and VAT number of the scrap dealer.
  • Your signature and the current date.
  • The signature of the person collecting your car.

Once completed, this letter should be posted to:

DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR.