How to notify the DVLA when you've scrapped your car

Last updated September 23, 2022

If you believe your car is no longer fit to drive and are unable to sell your car or part-exchange the vehicle, the best solution for you could be to scrap your car. The team at your local webuyanycar branch can buy your scrap car at a fair price, saving you time and hassle

However, it’s important to bear in mind that you’ll have to notify the DVLA that the vehicle has been scrapped – read on to learn how to do this.

Value your car in under 30 seconds

How to tell the DVLA you’ve scrapped your car

You can contact the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) to inform them that you’ve scrapped your car. This can be done easily online or, if you prefer, by post.

  • Online

    The simplest way to tell the DVLA that you have scrapped your car is to do it online. Before you visit the DVLA website, you should have your vehicle registration number, V5C logbook and the name and address of the scrapyard where your vehicle was disposed of to hand.

    You’ll also need the 11-digit reference number from your V5C logbook. If your logbook was issued after April 2019, you can find this in Section Four. In logbooks issued before this date, you can find your 11-digit number in Section Nine.

    From there, you’ll be able to fill out the online form easily, reporting your scrapped car to the DVLA in no time at all.

  • Post

    You can also inform the DVLA that your car has been scrapped by post. While this may take slightly longer, it’s still a simple and straightforward process.

    To do this, simply fill out the relevant section of your V5C logbook and post it to the DVLA to the following address:

    SA99 1BA

    If your logbook was issued before April 2019, you’ll need to fill out Section Nine. If your logbook was issued after April 2019, fill out Section Four. Make sure that you have the name and address of the scrapyard to hand and that you only send off the relevant completed section of your logbook. If you have followed all steps correctly, the DVLA should send you a confirmation letter within four weeks.

What if I have no V5C document?

If you are scrapping your car without a V5C logbook, you’ll need to write a letter to the DVLA explaining this situation. In the letter, you should include your full name and address, your vehicle’s make, model and registration number and, finally, the name, address and VAT number of the scrapyard.

However, we’d recommend getting a replacement logbook before scrapping your vehicle. This can be done online and costs just £25, with the V5C being sent to you within five days. This is also worth keeping in mind if you plan to sell your car without a V5C logbook.

Do I get confirmation from DVLA for scrapped cars?

You’ll receive confirmation from the DVLA once they’ve been informed that your car has been scrapped. Depending on the way you chose to send the information, you’ll may receive an email confirmation, a letter confirming that you are not the keeper of the vehicle or a refund cheque for any full months remaining on your vehicle tax.

If you haven’t received any form of confirmation within four weeks of reporting your vehicle as scrapped, you should contact the DVLA again to confirm that you are no longer liable for the vehicle.

What happens if I don’t tell the DVLA I’ve scrapped my vehicle?

If you fail to tell the DVLA that your car has been scrapped, you could find yourself on the receiving end of tickets and fines for a vehicle you no longer drive. The reason for this is that, as far as the DVLA is aware, the car is still in operation – you can still be taxed for the vehicle, even if you no longer own it. You could also receive a fine of up to £1,000 for failing to update your vehicle’s details with the DVLA.

Frequently asked questions

If your car is written off and scrapped by your insurance company, you still need to report this to the DVLA. It’s your responsibility to ensure you are no longer liable for the vehicle, even if you didn’t decide to scrap the vehicle yourself.

Your insurance provider will not tell the DVLA that they have scrapped your car. Reporting this to the DVLA is the responsibility of the vehicle owner.

If you scrap your car with an Authorised Treatment Facility, the scrapyard will inform the DVLA that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle and request a Certificate of Destruction.

If you want to keep your personalised registration number after scrapping your vehicle, you can use the DVLA’s online personal registration retention service. To do this, you’ll need the 11-digit reference number from your V5C logbook and will be asked to pay an £80 fee. Within two weeks of your request being processed, you should receive an official V778 retention certificate in the post.