What documents do I need to scrap my car?

Last updated August 08, 2022

Whether your car has failed a MOT, been written off in an accident, or has just reached the end of its useful life, there is precise paperwork you must show if you want to scrap it.

We've put together a simple guide of the necessary documents to help you save time and guarantee you have everything you need to properly scrap your vehicle.

Value your car in under 30 seconds

Documents you’ll need to scrap your car

If you are looking to scrap your car, there are a few documents you will need:

Do I need photo ID to scrap my car?

Yes, a valid photo ID is required in order to scrap your car. It might take the form of a passport or a driving licence. Additionally, you will require address verification, such as a current utility bill or bank statement.

Can I scrap a car that isn’t in my name?

Technically, yes, but there are a number of documents that must be presented before a vehicle can be scrapped. The vehicle need not be in your name, but you must demonstrate that you have the owners’ permission to scrap the vehicle.

The documents needed include:

    • The relevant section of the V5C document – completed and signed by the owner
    • A letter from the owner granting you permission to sell the car for scraps
    • Photo ID for the owner
    • A utility bill for the owner

This is to prove to the scrap collector that the vehicle hasn’t been stolen, and that you have permission from the owner to scrap the vehicle.

Scrapping cars with personalised registrations

Many people are unsure if they can keep their personalised number plate when it comes time to scrap a car. As long as you transfer your licence plate to another vehicle, you are permitted to keep it in the UK. Simply submit a V317 form on the government website to apply to keep your customised licence plate. This service has an £80 cost. The current logbook is required if you want to move the licence plate to a new vehicle. The application will be accepted so long as your vehicle is appropriately taxed, registered with the DVLA, or has a SORN that is older than five years.

If you do not have another vehicle, you can sell your number plate to another driver or keep it as a souvenir. Selling a number plate is a great way to make some extra money, and it is a very popular option among drivers.

Car scrapping regulations (ATF)

For a car to be legally scrapped, certain conditions must be met. These conditions are designed to support the operation of the scrapping industry whilst still minimising environmental harm. If not disposed of properly, a number of car parts can cause significant environmental harm.

According to the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, it is a legal requirement that your vehicle is scrapped by an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF). ATF licenses are issued by either the Environmental Agency or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency, and any firm will be able to demonstrate their certification. This legalisation was designed to reduce auto-related crimes and dishonest dealings at scrap yards. It’s important to ensure you use a reputable scraps dealer as copies of your personal documents will be held on file by the Authorises Treatment Facility (ATF) for three years, so you should feel comfortable with the knowledge that your details are in safe hands.

Can I still scrap my car without a V5C logbook?

Yes, if you have the registration document (V5C/2) proving ownership of the vehicle, you can still scrap your car without a V5C logbook. When you scrap your car, the V5C/2 must be given to the scrapyard.

The V5C logbook is not required if you want to scrap a vehicle that is out of date or does not have a current MOT. Only if you're selling or transferring the vehicle do you need the logbook. According to the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, all dealers only require proof of address and photo ID from sellers meaning you don’t need a logbook to scrap your car with an ATF. You can bring the vehicle to a licenced scrapyard, and they will handle all the paperwork for you.

If your car has been declared as 'off the road' (SORN) you don't need a V5C logbook to scrap it. To scrap a car that's not SORN, you will need the last V5C registration document (logbook) to prove ownership. If you don't have the V5C, contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to get a copy.

Full article and guide: Can I still scrap my car without a V5C logbook?

If you're searching for a hassle-free method to scrap your car, sell it to one of our 500+ webuyanycar UK locations in under an hour instead of a local scrap dealer. Enter your registration to get a quotation on how much your car is worth in under 30 seconds using our scrap my car online valuation. It takes less than an hour from the time you receive your valuation until your car is sold at your local branch.