Tips for Driving in Hot Weather
by Sarah Lomas
We might not get hot days that often, but when the UK does bask in the summer heat we often don’t know how to deal with it. Driving on hot days can take a toll on your car, not to mention being uncomfortable for you too.
By following our tips, you can stay cool, avoid breakdowns and be safe if you do experience a problem.
There’s nothing worse than being inside a hot car on a warm day. Overly hot cars can cause drowsiness, dehydration and exhaustion.
- If your car is fitted with air conditioning, make sure you use this feature for a cooler climate. Although, do remember it increases fuel usage
- If you don’t have air conditioning, make sure you open the windows to let air flow through the car
- Make sure you keep a bottle of water inside your car at all times to stay hydrated
Breakdowns will only occur if your vehicle is not properly maintained. Basic car maintenance takes only a few minutes and should ideally be completed on a weekly basis during peak hot temperatures.
- Engine Coolant – An engine that is running properly should rarely need coolant levels replenishing. Check the levels under bonnet using the minimum and maximum marks on the tank.
- Oil Levels – Keeping an optimum level of engine oil will ensure it works efficiently and keeps it cool. See our easy to follow guide on how to check your oil.
- Windscreen – A clean windscreen is essential on hot days when the sun can reflect off dirt and scratches and affect your vision. Make sure your windscreen wash is filled up to prevent smearing.
- Battery – Hot temperatures can put a strain on your battery. Check your battery hasn’t leaked or cracked, and ensure it is firmly mounted and safe from vibration.
- Tyre Pressure – Tyre pressure increases in hot weather, so it’s best to check them when it is cooler. Under-inflated tyres flex more, which causes heat buildup. After a period of hot, dry weather, rain can make roads slippery and uneven tyre pressure can increase chances of loss of control.
Keeping on top of these basic mechanical checks to keep your car in a good condition will help to retain some of its value for resale. Find out how much your car is worth and sell your car with webuyanycar.com.
January 31, 2018
January 17, 2018
October 17, 2017